Thursday 2 July 2015

Ivy experiments and dynamic weather vane

Have finally moved back home, so I can once again put more time into the project.

I re-made the ivy as a small branch which I can re-use to create ivy clusters, which I then import into the engine and use to dress the scene. Not 100% happy with it at the moment and will be redoing it again at some point, but I decided to keep it for now since it is still an improvement from the last one.

The main difference is that the current one is a simple vertical branch, which I can re-use easily to create ivy clusters, compared to the previous one which was a huge triangle shape vine with lots of leaves, maybe good as a unique piece but not for re-use.

One thing I don't like about the current one is that I made it too short, and I should have pushed the leaves out more to cover the stem and maybe add a bit more leaves in general.

It was an interesting test to try and adapt the "Hero LOD" technique from Epic's Kite Demo trees for the ivy, I think it will work quite well and look nice on close-up shots.

I experimented with some ideas for dressing the scene with the ivy clusters, it will most likely change some more sooner or later, but I wanted to try using more of it:




Another thing I wanted to try was to make the weathervane react to the wind dynamically rather than just sitting there. I grabbed the placeholder that I had and started experimenting with Blueprint. I did a rough pass on it, which more or less works besides being a bit choppy, but I know I can definitely do it better as it's nothing complicated, just need to put more time into it.


The weathervane object is split into 2 (top and bottom), the bottom is static and the top is dynamic, which is driven by the Directional Wind Actor that is set to rotate to random direction at random intervals and also random strength.




No comments:

Post a Comment