Sunday 21 June 2015

More WIP

Some more progress on the scene. Mainly working on the roofs lately, learning how houses/barns and their roofs are built, redoing some of the structural assets as well to make sure it's cleaner and reimporting parts as individual pieces rather than having them combined so I could instance them, adding some new placeholder assets in as well and iterating stuff.

Regarding the roofs, I originally planned to have corrugated metal type on the barn after looking at some references, but after some tests it just stood out too much and looked odd, so I switched to tiles. Studied the roofs in Assassin's Creed: Unity to figure out how to do them nicely so they wouldn't look flat as hell. It came down to extruding some of the tiles out, mainly around the edges of the roof to make the silhouette nicer, but also all around the roof. also selecting multiple ones in several places and extruding them in a little, and deleting some of the tiles to reveal the planks underneath which is something AC: Unity didn't do but I thought for an abandoned building it would look interesting:


(The dark patches are lightmap errors)

I tried tessellating the tiles as well since I had a height map baked out, but it looked quite awful and distorted, and it also required me to add an edge loop around every single tile to avoid it looking even more distorted, so I thought I'll stay away from it. Might experiment with a POM shader in the future though.

Right now I still need to finish them off and do some vertex blending of moss, dirt and broken tiles to break up the tiling and get the roof to look less plain.





No comments:

Post a Comment